How to plan and organize your next move – the 4 week checklist!
The 4 week checklist provides buyers and sellers the best way to plan and organize a move while maintaining some sanity! Here’s the countdown to moving day:
4 Weeks Prior to Moving
- Reserve a rental truck or contact a moving company
- Get moving supplies (boxes, tape, packing materials, etc.)
- Make travel arrangements if moving out of the area
- Save moving receipts; some are tax deductible
- Gather and keep together legal, medical, financial forms in one place so that they won’t be packed up.
2 Weeks Prior to Moving
People/companies to notify of your move:
- Change address at post office or www.usps.com
- Relatives, friends and businesses
- Doctors, dentists, etc.
- Utilities – gas, electric, water, garbage, telephone
- Banks – bank accounts, credit card companies, lenders
- Lawn service
- Newspaper delivery and other publications and delivery services
- Insurance companies
- Automated online services such as online prescription services, clubs (i.e. Fruit of the Month), and other services that routinely mail items to your home.
Government Offices to notify:
- Department of Motor Vehicles
- Social Security Administration
- Update Voter Registration (if moving within the state, you may be able to update this at a drivers licensing office)
- Return library materials
- Empty gym locker or items that you have stored in other locations such as a club, gym, office, storage facility, etc.
Preparing Household Items:
- Dispose of flammables such as fireworks, cleaning fluids, matches, acids, aerosol cans, batteries, light bulbs, ammunition and poisons such as weed killer properly and per federal law.
- Drain fuel from gas-powered lawn equipment.
- Discard used cans of oil, paint, thinner or any other combustible materials.
- Discard BBQ propane tanks
- Call a technician to prepare major appliances for shipment
1 Week Prior to Moving
- Decide what to do with household plants and outdoor potted plants and garden structures.
- Take pets to the vet if the state you are moving to requires health certificate.
1 Day Prior to Moving
- Set aside items that will be packed on the truck and items that will go with you.
- Put non-essentials on truck first, leaving bed mattresses and kitchen items last so that when you unpack, those items can be set up first.
- Defrost freezer and clean out refrigerator.
- Unplug electronic appliances hours in advance so that they are not hot and will be at room temperature for moving.
Take one last look around:
- Is the water shut off?
- Furnace/A/C shut off?
- Light switches off?
- All utilities arranged for disconnection?
- Windows/doors shut and locked?
- Old house keys and garage door openers surrendered?
www.uhaul.com – for truck rentals but also great for getting boxes and other packing supplies.
www.pods.com – for packing and storage solutions. They deliver a pod and you pack it up and they get it to your next home or will store it for you.
www.allwestmovingandstorage.com – a moving and storage company located in Lacey, WA.
www.olympicmovers.net – a moving company.
www.1800GotJunk.com – junk removal services.
If you don’t need full moving services but just a few strong helpers for the heavy items in your move, contact me. I can also provide contacts for house cleaning services.
*I have only used U-Haul and PODS for my own personal moving needs and had a positive experience. As with hiring any company, please do your research to decide which company best meets your needs.
Check out these other links:
And to make sure that you make it through your move, check out this “Happy” video and you’ll feel better, less stressed and rejuvenated to pack some more boxes!